How does Budget 2019 deliver a wellbeing approach?
The Coalition Government is proud to deliver the country's first Wellbeing Budget. It represents a significant change from how Budgets have previously been designed, developed and presented (see Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Developing a Wellbeing Budget
The Wellbeing Budget focuses on five priority areas where evidence tells us there are the greatest opportunities to make real differences to the lives of New Zealanders:
- Taking mental health seriously – Supporting mental wellbeing for all New Zealanders, with a special focus on under 24-year-olds
- Improving child wellbeing – Reducing child poverty and improving child wellbeing, including addressing family violence
- Supporting Māori and Pasifika aspirations – Lifting Māori and Pacific incomes, skills and opportunities
- Building a productive nation – Supporting a thriving nation in the digital age through innovation, social and economic opportunities
- Transforming the economy – Creating opportunities for productive businesses, regions, iwi and others to transition to a sustainable and low-emissions economy.